Officer Brooks' Creepy Blue Eyes

Second Full Moon of the year, so time for another werewolf story. The below is based on another Daily Prompt app story starter where someone feels someone else knows more than they let out. I came up with the below.

In the meantime don't forget to order a copy of my debut book, Wolf Soul, from Amazon. You can opt for ebook or paperback.

Enjoy the story and let me know what you think.


    Officer Brooks' Creepy Blue Eyes


James bowed his head and started playing with his fingers. Officer Brooks was making him feel extremely uneasy. It was the second time in three months that he was with the cop. The first time was at a students’ party his friends had organised. Some people had drunk too much and things didn’t end up well. The landlord had to call the cops and that was when James first met Officer Brooks.

Second time was now at the police station. James felt cold sweats down his spine. He knew he had done what Officer Brooks suspected he had, but he couldn’t remember a thing. Just waking up. And what a waking up...

“So, again tell me. What were you doing out so late at night when you were having a History exam the following day?” Officer Brooks asked grabbing a mug of coffee and taking a few sips. He was a tall, broad-shouldered man with very light blue eyes that James found creepy.

“Officer Brooks, I honestly don’t know, I swear.”

The cop just laughed.

 “On a full moon night, James. Did you just feel like walking in the moonlight? To clear your mind from studying perhaps?”

 James’ heart burst in his chest and he squeezed his fingers. Those two words... He panted under his breath and his body recoiled. The officer definitely knew more about him. More than James himself did.

 “Officer Brooks, I’m starting to think that you know more about me than you let on.” James finally forced himself to look at the officer.

 Brooks gave a broad smile that showed too many teeth. It was more like a grimace than a smile actually. And those disturbing blue eyes... James swallowed hard.

 “Have you not considered, James, that I do indeed know everything about you?” the officer asked, almost in an imperceptible hiss. He had another sip of coffee.

 The student’s throat tightened to the point he almost choked. The weight in his chest was unbearable. He knew he had killed that poor girl who had just arrived home from her night shift. Yet he couldn’t remember a thing, except waking up by the river bank, his torn clothes stained with blood. He tried to wash himself as best as he could right there in the river and rushed home. It was very early in the morning so the few people who saw him thought he was either a beggar or high on drugs. However, James wasn’t exactly a pro at hiding proof so it didn’t take long until the police knocked on his door. He missed the exam. And now there he was in the station feeling he had no escape. It was obvious for him now that Officer Brooks knew what he was. What he had been transformed into.

 “Please, officer...” James said with a sob, fidgeting his fingers again. “I know it was me and I am terribly sorry. I never meant to kill that girl... Please believe me, I have no idea how I did it. I was studying and next thing I woke up by the river covered in gore.”

 He bowed his head again, his body invaded by such distress he couldn’t help but tremble like a fragile leaf in a storm. Tears burst in his eyes. A promising life that he had screwed up without even knowing how.

 “It takes time, James. At first we have no control over our acts but as time goes by we get really skilled at it.” Officer Brooks said, staring deeply at James with his sinister eyes.

 “What... what do you mean? What are you talking about?” James raised his head again, his stomach churning. He had never been so shocked in his life.

 Not a blink from the officer. Brooks just smiled again, amused with the blow he had given to the youngster. He had his last sip of coffee and placed the mug in the sink.

 “You’re still a pup, James. Of course you make mistakes like all pups do. But I’ve been here for centuries and I have learned to be in full control of my transformations and powers. It’s a very strong killing instinct, but we learn to refrain. When it suits us of course. I cannot say I’ve never killed for pleasure. Some assholes actually deserved it. And there’s also a lot of art in making sure bodies are never found and we are never caught.”

 James kept shaking, his head a whirlwind. So the officer was like him. That was why he knew straight away what James was. The student scrutinised his face. Indeed, his grimace which he called a smile and his creepy eyes revealed the beast he was within. Most people would probably just say he was an intimidating man, but now that James knew he couldn’t help but see how beastly his human traits were.

“I still don’t understand...” he babbled. “How did I become this monster?”

 The officer laughed shaking his shoulders.

 “I bit you, lad. But you wouldn’t remember. None of us does. Remember that party three months ago? You had too much alcohol and I took you out for some fresh air. I couldn’t resist. Young people are quite a snack for us...”

 James felt sick to his core, anger arising in his chest now. The officer was mental but there was nothing he could do. One way or the other his life was destroyed.

 “Why did you do this?! You’re insane.” he shouted as he jumped from his chair and tried to punch the officer. However, he was no match at all against the stout cop who just grabbed his arms with a cynical laugh.

 “It’s ok, pup, we all react like this when we find out but then we learn to embrace this gift.” he told him, taking him to the door. “Just go for now. We’ll meet again before the next full moon.”

 James was confused. The officer was setting him free?

 “Leave this to me, pup. It’s not a coincidence that I am the alpha of this area and I do know how to protect my kind, especially the poor inexperienced pups.”

 James walked out, his head spinning. He couldn’t believe he was free. He couldn’t believe anything of that. But the officer just dismissed him with a smile.

 “You know where to find me, pup. And I know where to find you too.”

 James couldn’t tell if his tone was protective or threatening.

____

Read until here? Give me your like on my Facebook and/or follow me on Instagram.

Comments

Popular Posts