Don’t Go Into The Woods At Night

Full Moon tomorrow!! Time for howling with another werewolf story. From a prompt from the Daily Promp app where someone finds a trail of blood on the snow. And since we are at it, why not have a look at my debut novel, Wolf Soul, a werewolf story, available on Amazon? Whatever you do, I hope you enjoy my stories.


Don't go into the Woods at Night

I followed the blood trail dreading what I would find at the end of it. However, my conscience told me that it was my job to follow it in case somebody was in desperate need of help. Maybe I was their only hope. The wind was blowing stronger in the snowy night. I rubbed my arms hoping the trail wouldn’t drag me too far from home. I looked back. I could still see the light coming from my cottage so I wasn’t that far yet. The falling snow started covering the blood so eventually I had to stop to think where I should go. That was when I heard it.

“Help, help.” a voice screamed in the wind.

It was too far for me to understand if it was a man or a woman but I rushed towards the place where I thought the voice was coming from. I looked back again. This time I couldn’t see my cottage but the thought that someone was in danger or pain kept me going.

“Help, help.” I heard again, this time a little stronger. It sounded like a man.

I kept following. As I approached, the stains of bloodied snow became wider and brighter even in the dark. Then I saw it and my heart dropped to my feet. My strength left me and I couldn’t utter a word. A chill fell down my spine as my brain refused to believe what my eyes saw.

The man was lying against a tree, his belly a grotesque mass of blood, sinew and viscera. He stared at me and tried to tell me something but all he managed was to burst into coughing, spilling even more blood all over his throat and chest.

“Go...” he muttered.

I picked my phone to call for help but there was no signal. Then I approached the man carefully.

“I am going to try to get you out of here, Mr.” I said, not sure of the best way to help him get up.

He kept staring at me, horror dancing in his eyes.

“No...” he moaned again, spilling more blood.

“You will be alright. I will...”

A growling made my head turn before I could finish my sentence. Two yellow lights glowed in the distance. They seemed like two eyes. Perhaps a bear or some sort of beast? A scream formed in my throat as it started running in our direction.

“Go...” the dying man told me again.

Call me a coward if you want, but I just forgot my sense of duty. In a situation of life or death, surviving is all you care about, so I just ran and ran away back home, as fast as my legs could, terrified that whatever that was it would do to me what it had very likely done to that poor fellow. The sounds were too horrible for me to describe but I would never forget them. The unfortunate man screaming in the most excruciating pain and horror as, whatever that beast was, fell on him growling like Satan.

By the time I got home, I thought my heart would jump off my chest. I was panting, shaking and sweating. I bent down and put my hands on my knees trying to catch my breath, the screams and growls spinning in my head. At least I had not got lost. After unlocking the door I rushed to the landline phone to call the police. I told them what I had seen and they said they would be with me in twenty minutes.

I sat on the couch. I thought I had heard growling outside but then everything was silent. Deadly silent. The police would be arriving soon, I told myself. I would be ok. I would definitely be ok. I had never believed werewolves were real but I had no other explanation for what I had seen. There was a vicious creature outside and it had just killed someone. I was still panting and tried to calm my thoughts. I would be ok. I would definitely be ok. Then the police arrived. The oldest officer told me that a month before a similar creature had killed a couple of people in a town nearby. Nobody would really be safe until it was caught. I swallowed hard. I had been in a great danger and it was a miracle I was still alive. But I would never again go out in the woods alone at night.

________________


Enjoyed this story? Check my other Werewolf Stories, which I post every Full Moon:

A Dangerous Condition

The Neighbour Next Door

Wolfsbane

Officer Brooks' Creepy Blue Eyes

Midnight Shift at the Zoology Museum

Comments

Popular Posts