My Nanny is a Werewolf - Part I

With the Full Moon tomorrow and Halloween in little more than a month, it's time for another werewolf story. This time a bit on the urban fantasy side. Based on a prompt by the Daily Prompt app, this story will continue next Full Moon. Enjoy!


My Nanny is a Werewolf - Part I

I guess what I like the most about young children is that they accept everything as normal. If you suddenly start flying around the house, in Mary Poppins fashion, they won’t run away screaming and believing you’re possessed by an evil spirit. They’ll actually find it awesome and will ask you how to do the same. The problem is, they will also, in their cadence and innocence, tell mom and dad about it. And even if at first mom and dad dismiss it as child’s imagination, if their son or daughter is insisting, they will eventually become suspicious.

This was why when I got this part-time job to babysit the Bloomsbury kids, I had to be very cautious. I couldn’t let them understand my condition. Especially because most of the times I was called to take care of them, it was in the evening when their parents had to work late, business dinners or just wanted to have some couple time. They paid me well so it was worth the risk. And, mind you, my condition wasn’t as bad as that of my ancestors. It was as if it had diluted in our blood. Something funny would always happen around the full moon though. That evening my ears grew out, elf like. I tried to conceal them with my - even thicker - long hair but while playing with me, little Susie shouted to her siblings, “Lucy! Toby! Come see Jackie’s ears! They’re biiiig this evening.”

And she would burst in hysterical laughter as I tickled her and pretended to be the big bad wolf.

“The better to hear you, naughty!”

Lucy and Toby stopped to stare at us. Susie was only three and I loved her to bits. She would always prefer to play with me too, instead of watching TV with her siblings.

“Wow, Jackie! What big ears! Are they real?”

I’d smile, careful enough not to show my teeth. I could feel they had sharpened a bit and were slightly protruding down my lips.

“Of course not, silly.” I’d answer Toby who kept staring at me as if I was magical. “I just thought it would be funny to tell you Little Red Riding Hood’s story looking like the big bad wolf. We could even play a game. I wanted to save for later but since you’ve discovered them now, let’s go for it.”

Their eyes were glaring. We had lots of fun as I chased them pretending I wanted to eat them while they would run around the house laughing and shrieking so hard that the three got hiccups and ended up lying on the floor, cheeks like rubies and clothes in a mess.

“You’re so much fun, Jackie.” Lucy said as I covered her with her soft, slightly scented white duvet and kissed her good night. “I wish you could live with us.”

When I approached Toby and Susie, they were already fast asleep. I went downstairs and looked for a movie to watch. A couple of hours later, I heard steps on the stairs. It was Susie. She had wakened and was dragging her teddy bear along in my direction.

“Hey, what’s up?” I asked, grabbing her by her underarms and sitting her on my lap.

“I had a bad dream, Jackie.” she mumbled, rubbing her eyes.

“Don’t you worry. Everything is fine, sweetie.”

“I dreamed you were a real wolf...” she started and I my heart sank in my chest as a cold chill burst from my stomach.

“Ok, no more Little Red Riding Hood stories before sleep.” I said, more to myself than her.

“...and they caught you and killed you. Like the woodcutter. They killed you with an axe. It was so horrible, Jackie.”

And she hid her cherub face against my shoulder.

“Don’t worry, sweetie. It was just a dream. I am fine.”

She stayed like that for a few moments and just as she was about to pass out again, I heard the sound of keys and voices outside. Mr and Mrs Bloomsbury were back. But they weren’t alone. The door opened and behind them I saw two cops. Two tall, stout cops.

“Well, Mrs and Mr Bloomsbury. Please let us know immediately if you see or hear anything suspicious.”

“We will.” Mr Bloomsbury said, waving his hand. “Good evening.”

“Is there any problem?” I asked, getting ready to take Susie back to her bed.

“Some story about a funny creature, dog or wolf like, in the area.” was Mrs Bloomsbury answer. “They were patrolling when we parked and came to us to ask us to be on the lookout.”

I swallowed hard. I knew there were more besides me but we had never attacked anyone. We could control ourselves. We all could. Or could we? Suddenly a foreboding invaded my body.

“I say it’s just some kid getting ready for Halloween.” Mr Bloomsbury said with a sigh, as he placed his raincoat on the hanger.

“Well, Jackie. You can stay until morning if that makes you feel safer. It’s past 1am. You can take the guests’ room and...”

“It’s ok, Mrs Bloomsbury, thank you. I’m not afraid of those stories and I’m not far anyway.”

She insisted but I kindly refused. I wanted to go find out if any of us had been discovered and how that had happened.

I walked into the bar just before 2am. None of my kind was there. Only the barman, who immediately recognised me.

“Jackie.” he said, raising his right hand in my direction. I walked to him. He seemed worried.

“What happened? I saw the police by the Bloomsbury’s and they spoke about a dog wolf creature in the area.”

“Yours may be in trouble, Jackie. Somebody lost control and fully transformed. No victims, but he scared the shit out of some teens who were around. Think it was Matt. You know how he likes scaring these kids who think they’re so badass.”

I swallowed hard again and thought of Susie, Toby and Lucy. No matter what, I had to keep them safe.

(To be continued...)

_____________________

Enjoyed this story? Check some of my other Werewolf Stories, which I post every Full Moon:

The Janitor's Secret

Wolfsbane

Officer Brooks' Creepy Blue Eyes

Midnight Shift at the Zoology Museum


Or some of my non-werewolf stories:

The Loyal Blood

When You Wake Up in the Middle of the Night

The Strange Lava of Sodom and Gomorrah

The Bone Eaters


Comments

Popular Posts